Thursday, April 24, 2014

THE HILLS REALLY ARE ALIVE!

 
April 24,

Salzburg, Austria

.The last few days have been a whirlwind of activity.  I got off the plane and we started rehearsing immediately after a nice strong coffee.  Pretty intense. 

The hills really are alive with the sound of music in Salzburg.   Most notable moment:  Waking up in the morning and hearing an orchestra of birds chirping.  And then there was the cat fight in the middle of the night.  That was fun too.

Austria is a truly beautiful country.  I always feel very hopeful here – if any country got through a hotbed of hell, Austria would have to be high up on the list.  Remember Hitler?  Born here in a small town called Braunau. 

Now, Austria boasts having good roads, good schools, long leaves of absences for new mothers (I think it’s a year!!!) healthcare, a growing variety in food choices, etc.  The food is so fresh here too and prepared with a lot of care.  There’s a new Thai place right across the street from Rockhouse, (a killer venue, which also has rehearsal rooms).  There wasn’t any Thai food here six years ago  The joint is a little hole in the wall, but it was fantastic.  Good coffee and good Thai food?  That’s all I need! 

But let’s talk about the WHITE ASPARAGUS.  It is in season NOW.  I haven’t had any yet, but it’s going to happen – any minute now.  I can feel it.


. 


And it is so clean here .  One of the best things:  the water.  Straight from the mountain.  Fantastic.

As much as I love that we get free rehearsal time, I find the pictures on the walls of the room a little disconcerting.  Zappa sitting on the can just doesn’t do much for me and neither do the heavy metal posters.





We had our first gig in Linz last night and I saw a lot of familiar faces.  I almost cried on stage – I had to do everything in my power not to.  It means a lot to me to come back here and be able to do this after a six year break – having been here at least 12 times.  I often wondered if I would ever get to do it again.  And there I was in Linz, with folks who have come to every show I ever did there, bought every cd, knew some of the lyrics, listened to stories.  Wow…  I don’t care what all the self help books in the world say, one can’t help but feel validation when someone likes your music. 

Thank you Oostereich!


No comments:

Post a Comment