Sunday, April 6, 2014

I've been slow in my acceleration into the future.  To quote Steve Miller, "time keeps on slippin...into the future."  Trying to keep up!

I've been so busy dealing with new cd issues, learning a ton of new material and taking care of my dog that I just have not been able to keep the blog thing together.

Last night I played with Bad News Barnes and the Brethren of Blues at Hill Country with my favorite folks in the world:  Bette Sussman, Rich Mercurio, Lee Nadel, Tabitha Fair and of course Chris Barnes who is a maniac in the best way possible.  It was a true hoot and holla.  Not to mention, that even though I don't eat meat, the sides at Hill Country are pretty slammin...

What has become clear to me is that the blues seems to be tracking me down!

I play in Chris' band, (and am a co-writer on some of the original tunes) AND, when I go on tour in Austria in two weeks, we're going to spend three days to record a blues cd.  I'm picking out the material now and it is sooooooo much fun.  Yesterday I learned Kissin in the Dark by Memphis Minnie.  Hilarious.  Got some Ma Rainey in there.  Great stuff!  Gonna do a mandolin version of a Bonnie Raitt tune -- I hope it works out.

When I return, I have two more gigs with Chris -- May 16 at Hill Country and June 28 at a Blues Festival in Mystic, CT.  Mystic CT!!! I used to go there on field trips when I was a kid.  I'm so psyched about this...

lastly, I'm also playing mandolin and singing with Risa Binder -- no guitar!  April 16 and May 16.She's not blues, but she's country.  Blues but major...for all you muso types.

This seems so self-promoty and it's really strange, but, bottom line is, I'm really just so excited about it all and quite determined to keep it all going as much as I can.  There's nothing I love more than music and playing with my friends.  Nothing!  My time here on this planet is really short,  so, I'm committed to keep music alive and kicking through every fiber of my body and soul.  It'll either kill me or extend my life.  What an experiment!

Til next time...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ann, You probably know that the ship's log was an important part of the voyage detail and as you continue on your musical odyssey a blog is the current equivalent.
    Your first serious post is interesting but maybe co-ordinates may be a required feature in your follow ons. I will be a reader anyway. Incidentally I have planned to include a track from your CD on Wed. week show. Best Sean

    ReplyDelete